As your heating system ages, general wear and tear can cause it to stop working efficiently. And in more extreme cases, older heating systems can suddenly stop working entirely. If you’re in need of furnace repair service in Lafayette, IN, trust our team to get the job done right. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of quality and service whenever we’re called to the rescue.
Signs Your Furnace Needs A Repair
Knowing when to call for a furnace repair can have a great impact on the longevity of your unit. If you are experiencing any of the following signs, please give our HVAC repair team a call.
- Abnormal Smells: A slight scent as soon as the unit turns on is normal, and usually dissipates in a few moments. However, if the scent is strong, or grows more intense – it may be a sign of a larger problem.
- Trouble Starting The Unit: This is likely caused by disconnected or damaged wiring, which can be a simple furnace repair. If you have to try multiple times to start or restart your furnace throughout the day, you likely need a furnace repair.
- Discolored Pilot Light: A healthy pilot light usually appears blue, if it is any other color, that’s a problem. If your pilot light is yellow, that indicates a ventilation problem and indicates that carbon monoxide isn’t dissipating as it should.
- Low Levels of Heat: It’s clear your unit has a problem when it’s not doing its job. If the unit is turning on and seems to be working while you’re still freezing, it’s likely a furnace repair involving ductwork or a thermostat issue.
- Unusual Noises: Every furnace makes some noise, but if they are loud or distracting, that is likely cause for furnace repair. Squealing and whistling are from belt and fan issues while banging or groaning may be loose internal components
- Poor Air Quality: If you notice your home is particularly dusty or your family is experiencing more coughs and sputtering than normal, it might be time for a furnace repair. It could be something as simple as a filter while in some cases may require ductwork cleaning.
- Carbon-Monoxide Detector Goes Off: The Carbon-Monoxide detector is designed to alert you to the presence of natural gas and will automatically turn the furnace off if gas is detected. If this occurs, don’t hesitate to call our office.
- High Utility Bills: If you notice your utility bills are higher than normal, this is often an indicator that something has gone wrong. This often occurs when your furnace is working harder than normal or there is a leak in the ductwork. A trained HVAC technician can find the problem, repair it, and advise on next steps.
- Pooling Water: A water leak is usually not a significant problem, but still should be addressed by a repair technician to ensure it’s nothing to be concerned about. This is especially important if a leak is coming from the unit itself.
- You Smell Gas: A gas leak is a cause for immediate concern. Shut down the furnace, leave the house, and call Riggen Mechanical Solutions in Lafayette, IN ASAP.
- Weak Air Blowing: If the air is barely coming out of the vents, it’s likely going to require a furnace repair with the fan, belts, or motors.
- Frequent/Constant Cycling: You can hear your furnace kick on throughout the day, but if it’s cycling on and off over and over, that is a problem. Often, this is caused by a clogged filter or improper air circulation. Generally, a furnace repair technician can diagnose this problem for you.
Benefits of A New Furnace Installation
If you keep having to call for a furnace repair and/or your furnace is near the 15 year old mark, it is a good idea to give us a call. It’s worth it to consider if replacing your current heater is better than ongoing furnace repair which can be unsafe as well as costly.
- Better Comfort: Modern technology allows you to customize your home to generate more consistent warm air, maintain the temperature, and still remain energy efficient.
- Better Air Flow: A new system won’t have the dust and debris that accumulates on an older system, which gives you better airflow than ever before.
- Reduced Noise: New systems are quieter than existing units, making your home a more comfortable place to be year round.
- Environmentally Friendly: As newer systems hit the market, they are becoming more efficient and environmentally friendly by burning less fuel than older models.
- More Options: Increased technology on new furnace installation gives you more options at your fingertips for smart-home technology, integrations, and customization.
- Tax Credit: Depending on the age of your current system and the type of system you purchase; you may be able to receive a tax credit.
- Save Money: The newer systems are more energy efficient than an old model (especially one you’re repairing). This saves money on your utility bills every month. Some homeowners have seen their bills decrease by half, or more.
How long does a typical furnace last?
With proper maintenance, a furnace should last between 15 and 20 years. This may vary depending on the make, model, and maintenance. Riggen Mechanical Solutions can help you maintain your system and let you know when to get ready for a new one.
What things can I do at home to help maintain my furnace? And how often?
There are two things you can do to help maintain your furnace. First, change out your air filter on a regular basis. Generally, every 3-6 months, depending on how dirty it gets. The second thing you can do is to schedule regular maintenance with a licensed technician on an annual basis. At Riggen Mechanical Solutions we can set up a maintenance schedule for homes in in Lafayette, IN that works with you.
Is there anything I can do to improve the efficiency of my current furnace?
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to schedule a regular tune-up with Riggen Mechanical Solutions. We will clean the blower, check for leaks, and ensure everything is in working order.
How do I know if I have a carbon monoxide problem?
If you have a carbon monoxide problem, your carbon monoxide detector will alert you. You may also notice severe headaches, fatigue, or sometimes more serious health conditions. You can also purchase additional detectors that plug into any outlet in your home.
How often do I need a furnace tune-up?
We recommend a tune-up service on an annual basis, generally the fall in Lafayette, IN is a good time to schedule your service.
What type of filter should I use for my furnace?
It’s important to use the correct size and model for the space provided. There are dozens of different filters, that all do the same job. Cheaper filters must be replaced more often, while others last longer. Feel free to consult our technicians if you are unsure.
How often should I replace my furnace filter?
It depends on the type of filter you purchase. Less expensive filters need to be changed out more often, sometimes as often as every month. Other filters may last up to six months, and sometimes longer.
Riggen Mechanical Solutions Is Your Heating Expert
- Reliable: When you’re stuck in the cold in Lafayette, IN, you can count on us to be there. We show up on time, discuss your options clearly and follow-through with each service.
- Highly-Trained Technicians: At Riggen Mechanical Solutions, we provide the highest level of quality in all of our heating system installation projects, and all jobs are performed by highly-experienced service technicians you can trust.
- Licensed & Insured: You can rest assured knowing our work is guaranteed and should anything go wrong, we have your back.
- Transparency: We want to ensure you are well educated on the products and services you are paying for. For each job, we explain the problems, pricing and recommendations in detail before we begin.
- Unmatched Customer Service: We are in business to help you. Our customers in and around Lafayette, IN are our #1 priority and our job is not done until you are 100% satisfied.
Your Heating System Partner
At Riggen Mechanical Solutions, in Lafayette, IN we can tackle your furnace repair no matter how large or small the issue happens to be. When you work with us, we’ll take the time to patiently answer any questions you have and explain our methodology for addressing your heating system issue.
Don’t wait to call Riggen Mechanical Solutions if your heating system is on its way out. Contact us today to schedule service and let us help keep you and your family warm.